I asked my local (Tory) MP if he intended to submit a letter of no confidence regarding Boris Johnson in light of the Sue Gray report. I received this response.
I understand and share the anger felt by people across the country at gatherings in Downing Street and other Whitehall departments during the pandemic. So many of us have made extraordinary personal sacrifices throughout the pandemic; we followed the rules to protect ourselves, our loved ones and our communities. I know for many people, it is deeply upsetting to think that those in Downing Street, those who set the rules, did not follow them.
The Prime Minister has offered his heartfelt apologies for things that he didn’t get right and for the way the matter has been handled.
I note also that the Prime Minister has accepted Sue Gray’s recommendations regarding the learning that must be drawn from these events. The Prime Minister has announced that changes will be made to how both Downing Street and the Cabinet Office are run. As I understand it, this will see the creation of an Office of the Prime Minister, with a Permanent Secretary amongst other changes. I will need to consider the effectiveness of these proposals. In the meantime, the Civil Service and Special Adviser codes of conduct will be reviewed to ensure they take account of Sue Gray’s recommendations.
The Prime Minister has said that he will also set out steps to improve the No10 operation and the work of the Cabinet Office, strengthen cabinet government, and improve the connection between No10 and Parliament. I agree that this is necessary and shall be watching developments here.
With respect to the events under police investigation, Sue Gray has said “No conclusions should be drawn, or inferences made from this other than it is now for the police to consider the relevant material in relation to those incidents.” As I am sure you can understand, I cannot comment on an ongoing police investigation. Further, I do not believe it would be right to judge such matters before the investigation has concluded.
Many people have been asking me about the mechanism concerning a change of leadership of the Conservative Party. However, this process is an internal Party matter; not one that I believe should be conducted via the media, and I will not therefore be commenting publicly on the issue.
[link] [comments] https://ift.tt/HIjAfVXiW
from United Kingdom https://ift.tt/24KsZPUhb
via
Comments
Post a Comment