This country will never recover unless we do something about these ridiculous rents and red tape!

So everyone usually talks about residential rents and costs which are extortionate tbh... but at least they can be affordable for some.

Commercial rents are crazy... I had an idea for a food business I wanted to have a go at and I saved money for it. Long story short the rents have basically put up a crazy barrier to my idea.

There was Lidl on my secondary high street, there was no parking round that area and what ever there was was marred by severe restrictions. The place had been empty for 5 years now as the lidl moved to another place. The shop was not a Lidl sized supermarket but just like a large shop. The rent was £75k per annum!

Another shop I found in the 3rd busiest shopping area of my area and the rents there were crazy starting at £45k per annum and most wanted a £20k premium and then on top of that the shops needed a lot of work doing to them.

I basically relented my original idea and through my searching found a small shop which used to be a Percy Ingle in a very local parade of shops on the edge of my area. The rent was only £15k per annum much more reasonable I thought. It was a good place to start another bakery or a takeaway. The landlord apt had rejected 18 other similar offers as they didn’t want any startups or independents and only wanted a national retailer.... they must of been high or something!

I thought next I’ll start a food truck... the council got back to me and said they aren’t giving out any street trading licenses and they wouldn’t allow the food truck to be in any of the areas where I would want it to be anyway (like areas where people are!).

So before paying any rates, bills, employee wages and taxes there’s the ridiculously large rents to pay.

submitted by /u/Mega_whale
[link] [comments] https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

from The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland https://ift.tt/2DchYwZ
via

Comments